Friday, October 15, 2010

Good to be back.

Morning all1. Just a reminder that I need you guys to hit me with blog topics and/or questions by Sunday. You can just leave them in the comments section.

Then I want to apologize for the fact that I haven't passed on my award yet. I will get to it ASAP.

Oh and I just want to remind you guys to check out the News page. I have linked to some awesome competitions.

That done, I can move on to my new post.

Yesterday I got an e-mail from Qatar Airways inviting me to take part in their recruitment campaign in Cape Town. Needless to say, I am absolutely thrilled. It was exactly what I needed to bounce back after the test.

Now, some people might think my excitement strange. After all, Cabin Crew member is pretty much a waitress. Yes... BUT they work up in the air, get to see the world and get quite well paid in Rand (our local currency) terms - tax free, I might add. There is also the fact that I can finally escape the boredom of my course and get to have a bit more of an adventure. I have considered the less than ideal things, for example, flying frequently, working long hours, moving to Qatar etc., but the fact remains that this is an opportunity I would hate to miss. So everyone please just cross fingers and toes that I'll get the job.

The only thing that gets me a bit down is that I have no idea how working for them will affect my writing. On the other hand, I can't really forgo a real adventure for those only happening in my mind.

On the topic of writing, I decided to get my butt into a chair this weekend and write. I actually have two writing jobs. One will be my project, which by a twist of fate and the fortuitous fact that our group leader's surname falls in the last half of the alphabet now only needs to be handed in on Thursday. The other will be my novel. I'm going to take some time today to finish my character interviews. Tomorrow I want to do an experiment.

I want to see exactly how long it takes me to write four thousand words. Knowing this will be pretty vital to my chances at succeeding at NaNoWriMo. As some of you know, I have to write around three thousand words a day in the second half of November if I am to have any hope of hitting the fifty thousand mark by the end. I need to know how long it will take to write that amount so that I can see if there is any hope of juggling NaNo with my exams. If I can write 750 words a day before my exams are done, I make NaNo a lot easier when I can write more. But I have to know. So I also want to see how much I can write in an hour.

There is also the fact that (if at all) I will be writing my Economics on 19 November now. So the noose on my NaNo hopes is tightening even more. But as always, my exams will come first.

What about you? Any big things falling in the way of your NaNo? How are you preparing for it? What else is going on in your life?

16 comments:

  1. I' still editing, that will take me into November and hopefully no longer. Good luck with the Qatar Airways.

    Your question; do you have a major in school or are you just getting some required classes done?
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, fantasy author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with Qatar Airways, Misha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very optimistic about nano this year. I've done a lot of planning by way of a scene by scene outline, with word count goals for each scene. Hopefully I can stay on track!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the job!!!! It would definitely be awesome!

    I'm not doing NaNo, but I have had stuff getting in the way of my writing (and my blogging). Yesterday I had to go get my working visa renewed. Only my school forgot to do something, so it was a wasted 5 hour trip and I had to go back today. I've been so exhausted from waking up early and then working after I get back that I haven't been able to write or visit any blogs.

    In other news, my birthday is on Monday ... so this weekend I should be meeting with friends to celebrate.

    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my sisters lived in Kuwait for 5 years and she flew on Qatar Airways a few times. She only had good things to say! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Blogger! I hope I get it. :-)

    Thanks Nancy, that's a good question.

    Thanks Golden.

    Oooh sounds like you're geared for success Melissa. Best of luck!

    Oooh Quinn there are few things that kill writing as efficiently as dealing with bureaucracy. It sucks to wait for hours, get to the fron of an incredibly long queue, only to be told that you have to bring something else (promising another fun wait as well). I hope you get the renewal.

    Thanks Colene. :-)

    Thanks L.T. I've also heard great things about them. It's one of the reasons why I applied. from what I gather they have a great working environment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3000 a day...wow! If only I had the time. 1500 a day is a success in my life.

    Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with Qatar Airways :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Misha! All the best with Qatar Airways! I wanted to be a stewardess in my younger years and regret that I didn't try so go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a great opportunity! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've decided to do NaNo, but I'm not doing anything yet to prepare. I'm going to jump in and start on Nov 1, although I'm sure my mind will start thinking on it.
    I added you as a writing buddy.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Elliot, I just hope I can do it.

    Thanks Madaleine! :-)

    Thanks Len! That's why I decided to go for it. I just want to go do things I can remember later. :-)

    Thanks Kelly. :-)

    Hey Lee. I think that's more or less my strategy too. I don't see why I'll try to plot instead. But I didn't get your buddy invitation. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  13. From what I've seen on flights, attendants have LOTS of time to sit and read, so I imagine you'll have plenty of time at work to write :) Plus, when you want to quit you can go crazy and slide down the emergency slide like that guy did a couple months ago ;)

    Good luck with your writing this weekend! Don't worry if you don't get your 50k for NaNo - it happens. It will still be lots of words towards a finished book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha so true Sticky. I'm so going to try writing next year - even if it is during turbulence in the airplane. ;-P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.