Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A to Z Challenge: Zoo

Today's the last day, kids! Thank for those of you who stuck around. I hope it amused and taught you something new. Also, I want to thank the Veteran Novelists for their thoughtful, useful and encouraging comments. You are all legends in your own rights.

But today, I have one thing a new novelist should know before starting a novel.

The characters.

They live.

They breathe.

They think.

And they make one hell of a racket in your head.

Sometimes to the point where you think you're insane. Because really... you sort of are. And that's okay. Because if you were normal, you'd be boring. No one wants that. Except boring normal people. Forget about it.

Talk to your characters like they have minds of their own. If you give them time, they'll start answering. Often in ways that surprise you, yet makes more sense than anything you could have come up with.

Some characters will take over. Even for your muse. If he's a badass who stuffs up your inner frenemies for you, even better. Most of all, love the zoo of different characters in your head.

You created them. And they all love you in their own special ways.

And deep down, I can't really think of anything else quite like it.

Other than that, this is the end of this year's challenge, so I just feel that I need to re-emphasize something from early on.

KEEP GOING

Nothing is worth the aggravation that comes to a writer who stops writing.

And with that, I bid you good night!

22 comments:

  1. The worlds and characters we create are just as real as anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words and characters are very real to us.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love characters - then I enjoy finding the right setting to let them roar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing the AZ! Characters do make the books, methinks. :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is my favorite bit of advice you've given yet.

    Congrats on another great Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And because they are so real there's no going back. The only way is forward to the end of the novel so that you can go on to meet the next set of characters. Congrats on the A-Z challenge. I wish I'd started blogging sooner as I've missed some fabulous posts. I'm looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to think of them like a zoo. Of course, we all want to get them out of our heads to run rampant, unlike a real zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never stop writing. Never! Congrats on finishing A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, Misha! Great series. Loved every post.

    The only time I get concerned about the zoo in my head is when I answer one of those characters out loud and people start looking at me strange. I think that's why most writers and shut-ins. ;P

    Here's your cheese wedge for making it to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great a-z challenge you put together here! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Misha. Sorry I haven't stopped by for a while. Congratulations on completing the A-Z Challenge. Hopefully I can read the rest of your posts some day.

    I for one love creating characters. It's like building a collection sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on completing the A-Z challenge! Today I also blogged about characters, Misha. Interesting coincidence. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post, Misha. One of my favorites from your whole A to Z series. It can be a zoo in my head, but it makes such sense to "talk to your characters like they have minds of their own." Thanks for all the great advise throughout the challenge. And congrats on completing A-Z. God bless, Maria at Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
  14. Writer (n) a mortal human capable of creating immortal characters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aggravation - that's the word! I really do feel aggravated when I can't write, even for a day! Well done on finishing the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done on doing this challenge. I so wanted to do it but wouldn't have been at home for half of the month, let alone anything else. Next year - fingers crossed! And yes, those voices are a comfort and a nag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post-and way to finish A to Z strong. And to all the voices in my head, I swear I'm not crazy, but putting them on paper helps get them to shut up:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so right

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on making it to the end. We finished another year! April feels kinda like a zoo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whew, glad you agree talking to my characters like they are real is good :)

    Have a good week Misha.

    ...dhole

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats for getting through the challenge, even with all those voices in your head! :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.